Sunday, November 19, 2006

Culture Fest continues. This week: hobbies!

Hobbies are a funny thing. For me, the word conjures up an image of a jolly retiree, dressed in train conductor's regalia, fussing over his painstakingly accurate model trains in his basement for hours on end, mumbling things like "well, the 8:30 train coming in from Newburg Station is running a little slow this morning. It looks like we'll have to shovel some more coal in her furnace." But everyone has a hobby, and whether it is playing with model trains, BASE jumping, or collecting supermarket circulars delivered on February 29th of any year, these hobbies can tell you a lot about a person.

I recently discovered my girlfriend's hobby over the weekend, and it was indeed enlightening: she seems to enjoy accompanying me to a house party and making out with a random guy in the bathroom at the end of the night, while I cluelessly wait by the front door, clutching her coat in my hand. This is funny to me, because my preferred hobby is to do the word jumble in the Saturday paper. Like I said, people do have different hobbies. Perhaps she and I have fewer things in common than I had previously thought.

Ladies, please kindly take a number, as this gentleman caller is single once again...


Viva la cultura!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home